Monday, November 08, 2010

Sun-n-Fun

The annual EAA Spring Beak for Pilots, was this past month. Traveling to Florida while the end of winter is still in Michigan, always makes the trip down fast and the trip back slow. There were hundreds of informational forums, vast amount of planes, and a ton of wind for the first 4 days.



The Volunteers are the heart of any EAA event, weather the Young Eagle events or Oshkosh there are enough opportunities for everyone to help out and talk to pilots and people involved with aviation. My wife and I drove down, (she cannot travel light), and camped at the airport. If you can travel light there is areas just like Oshkosh that you can camp with your homebuilt or with your certified plane. Dan Bauman beat us down by a couple of days and was there helping out when we arrived. He helped move a trailer for one of the exhibitors of floats. I ran into him several times during the event, he volunteers at the corn roast.



I seen John Gill but missed seeing Dave Duperron but chatted with him on the phone after we got back from Florida. I try to keep pretty busy going to forums and walking the grounds. I started going for a run in the mornings down the flightline to the helicopter base and then back. I quickly found out that my run was a popular idea. Every morning I would see 20 people doing the some thing. But there was this young lady that would pass us all and wave at us old folks as she sped away, the guy I was running with vowed to trip her the next day we went out. (she was elusive)



The wind was the story for the first 4 days, all day all night. The wind let up on Friday and it was great. The evening airshow was good to see. I talked with some pilots that landed that said that they almost went around because of the wind being more than they thought.



Sun-N-Fun as a good time and I look forward to going again next year.



Blue Skies



Ken



No comments: